Translate

Saturday, September 29, 2012

oops! I left my notes at home so you get THIS instead!

I have to eat gluten-free. Before learning I had a problem with gluten, I had been eating pretty healthy my whole life. But what I did not know was that the food my parents grew up eating is no longer the food we eat. The food we eat has been bred to maximize production, withstand pests, and sometimes it has been genetically modified to accomplish these goals. 

This idea that we are messing with the genetics of the plants and animals in our world when we are still trying to understand how genetics works is a big worry. For example we recently learned that what was called "junk" in the cells is actually important information that can turn our genes on or off. 
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/science/far-from-junk-dna-dark-matter-proves-crucial-to-health.html?hp&_r=0

Now we learn that we are ecosystems for more genetic information than our own cells could ever dictate. The alien life in our bodies use us as their ecosystem and we need "them" in order to work properly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment